Friday, April 2, 2010

the no stress mess

Those of us who use computers a lot eventually become pretty acutely aware of the points at which we interface with them. Monitor, keyboard, mouse. Or not, if you're lucky.

Do you like your keyboard? I like my keyboard. Except that I hate my keyboard. I like that it has larger shift and delete buttons than my old keyboards, and it has speaker volume and mute, which is cool. I use iTunes a lot. It has a good action, except that the space bar is too flush with the wrist rest. The space bar goes down too low when I hit it. When I'm typing, my thumbs are always bumping that edge. Overall, it's good. But look at it.

OK, it's not this keyboard specifically that's the problem. All standard desktop PC keyboards are stupid. Notice where the center of the keyboard is, with respect to the center of the monitor? It's a little to the right. No, it's really shifted to the left, to keep the mouse where I can reach it without stressing my forearm. Which is futile.

We are told that it's important that we be looking directly forward at the center of our monitor, with the top of the monitor at eye level, and that our keyboard and mouse be ergonomically positioned, to avoid repetitive stress injuries. Right?  If you're working with your head turned, you're going to hurt your neck. If your wrists are bent, you can get carpal tunnel. So you do not want your keyboard or monitor off to the side. But the center of the keyboard - the part we use to type - is between the G and H keys.  Look at your keyboard. Your index fingers should rest on F and J. Now look closer at mine.

See where F and J are? Off to the left. Letter K is in the center of the monitor. Which means when I'm typing, my hands are shifted to one side. That's how you get carpal tunnel, folks.

If I align the center of my typing keys with the center of the monitor, here's the result.

Now look at how far out there on the right the mouse is. Every time I reach for the mouse, I'm using my shoulder and neck. More stress. What's pushing it out there? The numeric keypad that lives on the right end of the keyboard.

So who decided every basic computer keyboard needs that big 10-key Numeric keypad on the right-hand side? Some poor moron at IBM, that's who. About 25 years ago, or so I've read.

I'm seriously considering investing in one of these, a keyboard without a numeric deal on the side. 12 clams at Amazon. It's essentially a laptop keyboard in a desktop form. Gotta give it some thought, because there are things about this keyboard that I really like, as I said. I do like the mute button, and I'd lose that. You can't have everything. 

By the way, who decided that we can't have everything? Some doofus at Microsoft, or so I've been told. 

Posted via email from kimberlin's posterous